Monday, September 28, 2015

Help me accomplish my dream!!!

            I have been putting-off this post for a while, figuring out how to spare my humility and explain why I need to be a dentist.  If you have known me most of my life, you know that I want to be a dentist.  Last Spring, I found out that I would not have enough financial aid* to complete my dental school prerequisites.  I decided to complete a general studies degree so that I would have a bachelor's degree as a consolation prize.  I have spent most of my life doing things ass-backwards and learning the hard way.  It took me most of my adult life to realize that I can accomplish anything I want to if I freaking work hard at it.  But money, oh money, always has to get in the way.  I decided that I would just pursue grad school since I finished undergrad and the only solution would be grad school financial aid.  Let me say, that is not a good reason to go to school.  Also, since I graduated with a general studies degree, I would still have to take some prerequisites for grad school.  I had two plans for what to do if I lost my undergrad financial aid:

1.) Get a job on campus.  Almost immediately I got an interview with the dental office on campus.  Unfortunately during the interview, it became apparent that I would not be a good candidate for the position.

2.) Work part-time and pay for classes, slowly but surely I'll get there.  Well, I tried that Spring term and there is no way I could take chemistry and work.  I need all the time I can get to study.  Also, personal financial reasons intervened and that became impossible.

         So, I decided to take the few credits I needed to graduate and I would graduate, work as much as I could and try to figure out what to do instead.  Have you ever tried to pursue something when all you want to do is what you cannot do?  It doesn't work.  I have spent most of my time post-graduation trying to figure out what-the heck to do with my life.  Amid the barrage of questions from well-meaning friends and co-workers I feel like I am just spinning in circles with no end.
For the past 4 months I have been researching grad programs on-line, talking to co-workers and friends trying to come up with something that makes sense.  Nothing makes sense to me but dentistry. Let me tell you, I love my job.  I have days where I am sitting next to the dentist suctioning away thinking to myself "Damn I'm lucky I have a job I love."  I love interacting with patients, helping them feel better, giving them advice and educating them on dental hygiene.  You know what I would love more?  To be able to call them my patients, and see what I have done for them by looking in their mouths and knowing I accomplished this! ME!  I made that amazing crown, I helped this patient save their teeth, I gave them a good quality of life! ME!!!!!!  I have wanted this my whole life and not only do I love dentistry I really love school and learning.  So, after an awesome assistant I work with said "You know what? This is your dream and so many people know that and they want to support you, you should start a "Go fund Me."  I first reacted with trepidation because I HATE asking for money.  I loathe asking for money.  There are people who are trying to save lives and homes with Go Fund Me, what makes me so deserving?  Well, I thought to myself, why the heck not?  I promised myself I would try anything to accomplish this goal.  So I will.  If you want to donate to a good cause I think you have found it.  I need to raise about 20,000.00 for tuition to Portland State, misc. school fees, and supplies.  Please help me out if you can an I promise to write more blogs.  I will also give you free dental work;)
   If anyone would like to see the cost breakdown, please let me know.  Thanks a million!!!!  Or 20,000...

*Federal financial aid-grants, student loans, etc. Is rewarded with a max, meaning after a certain amount of credits and a lump sum--> in my case 67,000.00 you are no longer qualified to receive undergraduate financial aid.  If you are not eligible for financial aid - you are also not eligible for Scholarships.  Therefore you're screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment