Thursday, August 7, 2014

Losing a mentor

     




RIP
 People who know me well, know that I went to school at Southern Oregon University for theatre, when I was only 18.  I say only 18, because now that seems so young.  I wasn't prepared for the adventure ahead of me and honestly I wasn't super-passionate about theatre but one of the reasons I went was because I loved being immersed in the culture.  To this day I have a soft spot for thespians, and I have so many fond memories that are fading with time.  I just found out that the theatre world lost a wonderful man, Jim Giancarlo.  
Jim was one of my first instructors fall term 1995.  He taught "Movement for the Actor." The class focused on how to use your body to project your character.  Acting is similar to dance, in that it involves choreography and when you are playing a character, you have a different choreography then you would as yourself.  Unfortunately, I was so uncomfortable with my body at 18 that the class made me miserable.  I was also extremely hot-tempered and stubborn.  Jim would try to work with me, and looking back I realize that he really wanted me to learn what he loved.  I wouldn't doubt if I wasn't one of his most challenging students.
A few years later I decided to take his musical theatre history class. Ever since I did "Pirates of Penzance," in middle school I loved musical theatre.  I shared Jim's enthusiasm for musical theatre and because of the class, I started to look up to him and respect him in a way I hadn't before.  I could have been maturing a little bit, but I really think his passion for theatre was infectious and I was finally understood who he was.
            I am so sad for all the people in his life, including myself, who were touched and inspired by his teaching.  He was a wonderful man and he is so lucky to have known so many people and spent his life having so many adventures.  Losing an old mentor, from my previous life has made me realize how much time has gone by and how different my life is today.  I will always remember my theatre days and keep them close to my heart.  It also tickles me that his musical company was called "Trenchmouth* Musical Productions."



*Trenchmouth is a common term for ANUG, which is a gum disease commonly found in soldiers during war.

        

x
x
x

No comments:

Post a Comment