Thursday, July 31, 2014


Previously I mentioned a simultaneous groan when I brought up math.  I actually really enjoy math, not to sound arrogant, but it is one of the few classes that I have taken that challenges me.  I have always taken classes that are easier for me, and I was starting to get really bored and uninspired.  I love that math makes me swear like a sailor when I cant figure an equation out, and a genius when I can.  Math is a very emotional subject. I do not have to worry about punctuation or grammar, although I get really annoyed when I do not answer a question with the exact answer and I get points taken off.  Damn you parenthesis!  
Going back to school as an adult -adult, like a real grown-up, has made such a difference to me.  Although, I have more important issues on my mind (taxes, work, my pet's, bills, etc.) I'm not worrying about a certain boy in the row next to me or what I need to tell my best -friend after class- "eek!  He looked at me!" I did not have time for algebra back then, as you can see I had more important things on my mind.  
Now I find school to be an escape and knowledge is really empowering.  I finally understand why I need to know algebra in the real world, because we use it all of the time.  Do you want to know when your friend's train will arrive in Portland when it left Seattle an hour ago? - Algebra.  How much was the couch before it was 60% off? - Algebra. If a recipe calls for 5% white-wine vinegar how much do you need? -Algebra.  You get the idea.  It's not just the straightforward equations that we do on a daily basis that is derived from algebra. Algebra has helped me think a little bit differently about certain situations, because there is more than one option.  One of my favorite quotes is:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." That is not always possible in algebra. Right now I am learning about the inverse of a function and you have to get a different result to be able to inverse - no other option. 

Through this process of math my instructors have given us some websites that are helpful to learning. I will share those with you:

Khan academy: this website is all about algebra, by some dude that really like algebra.  There are visual, tutorials where he actually writes the information for you.  This is great for visual learners.

wolframalpha: not just for math.  You can type anything in the search engine and they will look it up for you.  It helped a lot with a word problem I had about Mars and Pluto.

You can also Google a math equation and there are a lot of nerds - I mean, nice people who will show you how to solve the equation.  One problem I have had with that is that you will discover different ways to solve a problem and it may get confusing.

I hope that information is helpful.  I plan on posting what study materials and school supplies have helped me through my math journey!  Stay tuned. 


I love to foil, I find it therapeutic


No comments:

Post a Comment