Thursday, February 20, 2014

My Dad

     As I am taking this Capstone about aging and the elderly I have been thinking a lot about my grandparents, but our most recent journal assignment is to be written about death and our experiences with it in our families.  I immediately thought of my Dad, and how I came to realize the way my family deals with death.  I decided to share the journal about my Dad's death, because I think for the first time since he died I can really write about it and articulate the experience.

       My Dad died, a couple of years ago and because of his death I spent a good amount of time analyzing death in my family.  Before my father died I lost two grandfathers and a grandmother (my Dad’s stepmother).  All the deaths were dealt with discreetly and without a funeral.  I did not realize how disconnected my family was from the ritual of memorializing someone until my Dad died.
            My dad had a bad accident, and was in the hospital for a few weeks before he passed away.  I could tell almost immediately that the Dr. and attendants were not optimistic.  About a week into his hospitalization I started thinking about what we would do if he died.  My brother and I were emotionally numb most of the month but we needed to deal with everything because we were responsible for our father.  When we went to the funeral home we decided to have my dad cremated, but we didn’t know what else to do. We both felt that it would be difficult for us, having my dad cremated and not saying goodbye or having a ceremony.  We are not a religious family and we do not belong to a church but it was important to my brother and I that we have a memorial service.  My father talked about his death regularly.  He was adamant that we did not have a service.  I do not think he realized that it was a way for us to say goodbye and heal.
            A couple of weeks went by and we decided to take my dad off of life support (he always said he wanted that), and we went back to the funeral home to make the final arrangements.  We decided to have a memorial service in the church near the funeral home, in the cemetery my dad would take his daily walks through.  The church is beautiful and in one of the nicest cemeteries in Portland.  We decided we would scatter his ashes another time in one of his favorite places.  My dad was a reporter for the Oregonian when I was growing up, so he knew a lot of people in Portland.  We thought it would be nice if everyone who wanted to could say something about my dad at the service. My dad’s best friend was a Marine as was my father, so he wanted to make sure the Marines were there to give my dad a proper send-off.  Despite not having a casket, the flag was folded and given to me. As you can imagine, I had been crying for a month straight.  I cried freely and openly like never before because everyone knew I was grieving.  When Taps played I thought I would never stop crying.  There was a gun salute, a sermon from my dad’s friend’s pastor, and then eulogies from friends and family.
            My dad was a bit of a recluse after his retirement.  I constantly ran into friends and family members who would say “have your dad call me, I haven’t heard from him in a while.”  When he was in the hospital I met so many people who I had never met that wanted to visit my dad and keep him company.  At the memorial service the church was so full people were spilling out of the back and into the lobby.  I couldn’t believe how many people had wanted to say goodbye to my father, and I realized, he probably was afraid that no one would show-up. 

            Having a ceremony, with the Marines, and all the people my dad knew and loved was so comforting for my brother and I.  We realized that his life was enriched by all of these people. Not only did my brother and I get closure but we understood more about our dad that we didn’t know, my father wasn’t just a recluse who smelled like Old Spice and constantly worked on his memoirs, he was someone that people related to, thought about and were touched by.

This is one of my favorite pictures of my Dad.  I found it when I was cleaning his apartment


No comments:

Post a Comment