Thursday, September 5, 2013

Anticipation

   
I've been having stomach troubles and I think it's anxiety. I have had anxiety for a long time and I feel like it has kept me from doing a lot of things in life.  I want to go back to school and that is such a hard goal for me with the anxiety but I know I can do it.
     I decided to go to school part-time Fall term because I don't have financial aid yet and I will have to work some more.  I don't mind working a little bit, since I am a dental assistant I don't want to forget terminology and some skills while I am in school.  Dental assisting is not like riding a bike, you can get rusty pretty fast.
      Going back to school part-time will also help ease me back into the academic world.  Some people don't get anxiety, and they think I'm putting things off but the fact is, is that I have to do this in a way that will work for me and not have me heading for the hills.
       Fortunately PSU has a Disability's resource center for students with anxiety and learning disabilities.  They have counselors ready to help you if you're having an anxiety attack.  I met with a counselor there and she said that there are a lot of pre-med and pre-dental students that access the center.  That made me feel better because I felt like my anxiety does not have to be debilitating.
      Going back to school at my age is daunting especially since I am going for such a major career.  I'm not just taking a couple classes to advance my career, I'm trying to go to dental school.  I can't however, live my life knowing that I never tried and continue to be envious of all the people in college pursuing their dreams.
       I finally have orientation on Monday Sep.9th.  I will meet my advisors and make my first schedule.  I'm assuming I'll be taking writing and math Fall term because you have to brush-up on those after a while. I'll let you know how my orientation goes.  I feel like I'll be the only older person there and all these fresh-faced 18 year-olds will be there giving me weird looks.  I used to wonder why older students went to college when I first went.  Now I know.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment